Friday, June 3, 2011

Explore. Dream. Discover.


I know I don't believe in countdowns, but it's time for me to admit that I have exactly one week left. Let the panic and mixed emotions ensue. Also, it means it's time for a sentimental, thoughtful post. Go.

Right now I'm ready to be back home and excited for next semester at AU, but I'm also ready to stay around Cape Town and struggling with the thought of leaving. This semester has been amazing and I will never be back here in the same context. The finality is frightening.

Nine months ago I was panicking about going abroad. Was I choosing the right place? Will I get my application done in time? SHOULD I EVEN GO ABROAD? Yes, yes that last question was really stupid. Like I said, I was panicking.

If I hadn’t gone abroad, I wouldn’t have had any idea what I was missing. I’m sure I would have had a great semester at AU, in a city in love with friends I really miss, but I now know it would be nothing comparable to this semester. It’s hard to sum it up in words, but I’ve done new things, seen new things, met new people, and pushed myself in a million different ways. 

It started out with a jetlagged struggle up Table Mountain on day one, was followed a week later by a jump off a bridge, and I haven’t stopped since. So thank you South Africa, you’ve been good to me.


On top of Table Mountain. DAY ONE.
  “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” –Mark Twain

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment