Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weekend Update

What’s that? You’d love to hear all about my little adventures around Cape Town? Here ya go.

Warning: this post is on the long side, but there are pictures so bear with me.

Before classes started I headed out to Muizenberg Beach a couple times.  Here, I was lathered in SPF 30, surround by some serious surfing action, and got to see these famous colorful beach houses.  Getting to the beach was an adventure in itself, as we have to take the train.  I have to say, I can navigate DC public transportation like a pro (and we all know my immense fondness toward Metro buses), but the Cape Town trains give me a whole new public transportation experience.  I’ve only taken the train a handful of times, but this is what I’ve gathered thus far: the schedule is iffy, they are so packed they overflow at rush hour, and it’s horrible idea to take them after dark BUT it is a pretty solid cultural experience. Also, where else can I see someone breastfeeding?
Who wants to rent one of these for me?
The weekend before classes started a few friends and I headed towards town to check out Old Biscuit Mill.  That’s right, it’s an old biscuit mill that is now market on weekends.  The mill was filled with tons of people and food stands, and there were quite a few little shops too.  There were all sorts of really good food, drinks, and free samples.  I’m not really sure what I ate, but it was wrap-like and delicious AND I had mango sorbet that was magical.
Why are all the people here white and extremely attractive?
Who needs one Valentine when you have four? Last Monday I finally checked out the touristy, commercialized Waterfront with those crazy kids I road tripped with.  We ate tasty seafood right on the water.  Seals even rudely interrupted our dinner.  Not only do they smell horrible, but also the two that were chillin’ directly below us barked at each other for a bit. RUDE. No worries, the night ended perfectly with ice cream and people-watching (two favorite pastimes).
Waterfront Ferris wheel aglow.
 
In addition to taking three UCT course, I’m also enrolled in a living and learning seminar through my program. You’re right, it does sound a little cheesy, but I get to go on really cool field trips.  The first one was Friday.  I actually had no idea what I was doing or where I was going (limited info is about all I get. TIA.), but it turned out to be awesome.  We first went a castle that is pretty much right in Cape Town, then across the street to the parade were Mandela first spoke once he was released from prison.  Following that, we went to the Slave Lodge, where the Dutch East India Company (VOC) housed their slaves.  It has since become a museum that was super interesting. They also had a Mandela exhibit that was awesome.  We didn’t have enough time to see it all, so I definitely want to go back.  Then we headed to the Company Gardens, a beautiful park right in the city that also had a great rose garden.
Check out the tablecloth on table mountain.
  Then off we went to Bo-Kaap, a predominately Muslim neighborhood known for it’s distinct, colorful houses.  Another interesting thing about Bo-Kaap is that the population, which is mostly coloured, was not forcibly removed during apartheid.  We finished off our field trip with a crazy tasty dinner.  We went to a women’s home for the meal, and she fed us traditional Cape Malay food.  There was a curry-chicken-wrap-thing.  I don’t even like curry very much and this was tasty.  The best part? Cape Malaysian food is similar to Indian food but much more mild. So my ears didn’t burn off!  Desert was a donut-like-thing, but much better than any donut I’ve ever eaten.  I’d call that a successful afternoon.
Fun fact: The roofs are flat because the city is so windy.
  On Sunday I headed to a soccer (football?) match with my program (Kaizer Chiefs v. Engen Santos).  It was lots o’ fun and yikes! there are some serious fans.  It would have been even better if I could speak isiXhosa and could have eavesdropped on the intense guys sitting next to me, but, hey, I can’t have everything. They also use their vuvuzelas like there’s no tomorrow.
I might be deaf from so many vuvuzelas.
 
LASTLY, I went to my first UCT rugby match Monday night! I still have to learn all the rules, but it’s so intense and fun to watch. Go Ikeys!

Next adventure: Jo’burg this weekend!

Sidenote: Yes, I realize I like to talk about food whenever possible, but it’s only because I’m eating lots of tasty things.
Nom, nom, nom
 Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment